An HSA (health savings account) is a vehicle that you can use to save money on a pre-tax basis for out of pocket expenses for medical, dental and/or vision care. Only employees enrolled in the CDHP medical plan can participate in the HSA.
Park National Bank administers the Clermont County HSA. If you elect the CDHP & HSA plans you must complete the Park National Bank application and either take it to a Park National Bank location or forward it to the Employee Benefits Coordinator with a copy of your driver’s license.
Some of the advantages of saving funds using the HSA are:
- Anyone enrolled in the single CDHP medical can save up to $3,450
- Anyone enrolled in any other tier of the CDHP can save up to $6,850
- Anyone age 55 or over can save an additional $1,000 per year/per HSA.
- The County will contribute to your HSA: $25 per pay single / $50 all other tiers.
- All employee contributions are pre-tax, which lowers the employee’s taxable income.
- Once deposited, the funds belong to the employee & remain in the employees account until utilized.
- Because the funds accumulate, they can be saved for future medical, dental and vision expenses.
- There may be some investment opportunities once a specific level of savings is achieved.
- When the employee leaves employment, the funds go with them.
- The account owner can access funds even if changing to a non-eligible medical plan or if waiving coverage, but no further contributions are permitted.
People who are not eligible to participate in the HSA include:
- Employees who are also covered by a traditional medical plan through their spouse or other entity.
- Employees whose spouse has an active FSA plan
- Employees who are eligible and enrolled in Medicare